Bikini season is right around the corner, but before you start ditching solid food for the newest “cleanse” on the market why not try a simple wellness trick that helps cleanse your body from the inside out—no starvation necessary. With a quick five minutes in the morning you can help your body cleanse itself without sacrificing your paycheck!
Dry Brushing is an ancient practice that boasts a number of health benefits including, dead skin exfoliation, lymphatic system stimulation, unclogging pores, decongesting skin and best bikini benefit of all, dry brushing helps reduce cellulite. Yes, you read that correctly.
Dry brushing gives your lymphatic system a morning reboot which helps push and eliminate toxins from your body. Cellulite, AKA toxic material your body has accumulated that are trapped in your fat cells (ugh!), will be gently broken down by dry brushing helping your body eliminate them. This can all be done in as little as five minutes a day, right before you take a shower.
So, how does it work. First you need a brush. We love Yerba Prima brush that you can buy here or at your local Whole Foods or health food store for a little over 10 bucks. Dry brushing is simple, but don’t be thrown off if you find it a tad bit uncomfortable at first. It can feel strange to rub a brush on your dry skin at first, but trust us—once you get into the habit, it will become more enjoyable and energizing.
What to Do:
- Get naked! It is best to go bare and usually most convenient to dry brush in the morning before you shower
- Remember to always brush towards your heart. Starting at your feet, begin brushing in long sweeping motions up toward your heart. Repeat several times in each area, overlapping as you continue
- Be careful brushing over your more sensitive areas, and again your body will become less sensitive the more you brush
- Once you have completed your entire body (this shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes) you are ready to jump into the shower!
- We love using an organic coconut oil for maximum moisture post shower, more on the extensive uses for coconut oil here.
Make dry brushing a daily habit for the best skin benefits, and your skin will be bikini ready in no time. Have you tried dry brushing? Let us know if the comments below!